Groningen Guitar Festival & Competition
Every second year we will have a Guitar Concerto Competition and the alternating year a Solo Guitar Competition. For 2022 we will focus on solo guitar performance. The guitar is a unique instrument with endless possibilities for solo repertoire. Which pieces do you want to play? New artists are being born constantly and every guitarist has something to say. We would love to hear your story and special artistry!
Groningen Guitar Competition is open to all candidates, regardless of their nationality, age and background. Take a look at the exact competition program and rules below and let us know if you have any questions!
Program & Rules
• Each candidate will perform a maximum of 10 minutes.
• Free program: the competitor can freely choose the repertoire to perform for this competition.
• The first round will take place at the Prince Claus Conservatoire in Groningen.
• The results of the first round will be announced on February 23rd 2022.
• A maximum of 50 competitors will be admitted to the first round;
• In case that DGF receives more then 50 applications: the first 50 applications we received will be given a priority.
- Each candidate will perform a maximum of 20 minutes of free choice program.
- It is not allowed to repeat repertoire from the previous round.
- A maximum of 20 candidates will be selected to perform in the second round.
- Each candidate will perform a maximum of 30 minutes of free choice program
- It is not allowed to repeat repertoire from the previous rounds.
- A maximum of 5 candidates will be selected to perform in the third round.
• The Honorary President will be appointed at the beginning of the Groningen Guitar Competition;
• The Honorary President will supervise the work of the jury throughout the Groningen Guitar Competition;
• In case of irregularities in the work of the jury, the Honorary President will immediately notify the Artistic Director;
• The Honorary President may cut off the performance in case that candidate exceeds the time limit given in the rules;
• Free selection repertoire chosen for one round, cannot be repeated in a later round;
• All repertoire must be performed by heart;
• Each candidate will be given a score between 0-25 points. The highest and lowest mark will be cut off. An average of the remaining marks will be calculated in order to determine the score of the candidate;
• Jury members cannot give points to their own current or past students;
• Prizes cannot be shared;
• The Jury may decide not to award a particular prize in case that they are not satisfied with the performance level;
• Points will not be published nor discussed with the candidates;
• All candidates can approach any member of the Jury to ask for the feedback on their performance;
• The decision of the Jury is definite;
• All audio and video material recorded during the competition belongs to the DGF and can only be used with the written permission of the DGF.